Veterans’ Home Care program
HomeCare Options is funded by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) to provide veterans care and support through the Veteran’s Home Care (VHC) program.
HomeCare Options provides a range of specialised, low level in-home support services to allow eligible veterans to maintain their independence and to remain in their own home for longer.
Some services available under the program include:
- help around the house such as daily household cleaning, ironing or help with the tasks like washing the dishes
- personal care which can include providing support with tasks such as bathing, dressing, toileting, dressing and grooming
- respite care which can be provide valuable time off for a carer of an elderly person. HomeCare Options can provide company and support at home while the carer receives a break or we can refer you to other respite services such as centre based or residential care respite if needed
- home and garden maintenance tasks which may include minor maintenance or repair work, changing light bulbs, installing batteries in smoke alarms, cleaning up of the garden area, window cleaning or gutter cleaning to ensure the home is safe and free from hazards, and
- connecting you and your family with other services in the community that might assist.
Accessing Veterans’ Home Care program
You will need an assessment from the Veterans’ Home Care Assessment Agency. The assessment team will determine your needs, which services will be suitable to meet those needs and provide a service/care plan.
Most assessments (and determination of eligibility) can be done over the phone, however if the assessor determines that a face to face assessment in the home may be appropriate, they will arrange a suitable time with you.
To access this program, you must be a veteran of the Australian Defence force, hold a Gold or White card and be living at home. If this applies to you or a loved one you will then need to arrange for an assessment by the Veterans’ Home Care Assessment Agency.
To book an assessment call the Veterans’ Home Care Assessment Agency on 1300 550 450.
To access more information on the program please visit the Department of Veteran’s Affairs website or to find more about our care services for veterans. Call us on 1300 06 06 01.